MINISTRY OF MINERAL RESOURCES, SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY, AWKA
The Ministry of Mineral Resources, Science and Technology is comprised of 4 Professional Departments namely:
1. Science and Technology
2. ICT (Information and Communication Technology
3. Mineral Resources and Energy
4. Hydro Meteorological Services
SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
The mission of the department of Science and Technology is to harness, develop, and utilize Science and Technology to build a strong, diversified, sustainable and competitive economy that guarantees a high standard of living and quality of life for Ndi Anambra.
The department has organized several skill acquisition trainings (over 500 youths were trained in 14 different skills at Technology Incubation Centre Nnewi).
Various competitions have been organized for Secondary Schools and the State Government has sponsored deserving students to various National & International Competitions.
INFORMATION AND COMMUNICATION TECHNOLOGY (ICT)
An ICT department was created in the Ministry to incubate and deploy the e-government strategy of the State Government.
So far, the ICT department has achieved the following milestones:
- · Constructed and equipped an ICT labouratory at the State Secretariat Complex for public servants.
- · Publication of weekly Newsletter – which highlights the activities of Government and affords the citizens an effective avenue to engage Government.
- · Creation of Anambra Website – Before this administration, Anambra Website was ranked 36 out of 36, at the last ranking; it was 12 out of 36. We are eagerly awaiting the 2017 rankings as we are sure of further improvement in our position.
- · Time and Attendance Machines were deployed to ensure that civil servants get to work on time and remain in their duty posts.
- · Schools Connectivity Project - Galaxy Backbone gave us an extension valued at N129, 000,000.00 (One Hundred and Twenty-nine Million Naira) only. We are retooling internet connectivity at schools because of problems associated with power supply.
- · Creation of MyAnambra app. – This quickly provides you with relevant information about Anambra State of Nigeria from the comfort of your Smartphone. It is available on Google play store.
The Federal Government is developing the Mineral Resources Sector as an alternative source of revenue.
It has been said that this sector has the potential to surpass oil in revenue generation – Anambra State Government has keyed into this.
We have engaged the services of a world renewed expert Prof. Charles Ofoegbu to help us develop the Solid Minerals Sector.
A lot of activities are going on here such as characterization of Anambra Minerals such as Bentonite, Kaolin, Glass Sand, etc.
Ancillary to this is the coordination of the activities of the Anambra Oil and Gas Committee by the Ministry. We are working closely with the committee under the able leadership Dr. Emmanuel Egbogah to ensure the realization of the dream that Anambra becomes an Oil producing State.