Ministry of Road, Rail & Water Transportation
01. ACHIEVEMENTS UNDER CHIEF DR. WILLIE OBIANO’S ADMINISTRATION.
- i) Launch of Mass Transit Bus Scheme by His Excellency, Chief Dr. Willie Obiano, Governor of Anambra State on the 6th of February, 2015 at Governor’s Lodge, Amawbia. He commissioned the 59 Seater Buses of Anambra Mass Bus Transit Scheme;
- ii) Launch of 200 Nissan Almera Taxi cabs of Anambra Mass taxi Scheme to empower Anambra State youths;
iii) Passing out and swearing-in of 150 Traffic Officers of Anambra Traffic Management Agency (ATMA) trained at FRSC Academy Udi, was done by His Excellency, Governor of Anambra State on December, 2014;
- iv) Re-organization and inauguration of 25-member Monitoring and Enforcement Committee on Parks in Anambra State. The team was provided with three (3) new buses to enhance their performance in IGR collection.
- v) Provision of Traffic Light at major areas in Onitsha, Awka and Nnewi with plans to cover more major roads/streets in the State;
- vi) Training, inauguration and deployment of Vehicle Inspection Officers (VIOs) on Anambra Roads, with (8) eight vehicles for effective operations;
vii) Successfully decongested Roads of abandoned and rickety vehicles to ensure safety and free flow of traffic on our roads;
viii) Provision of modern bus-stop shelters in strategic locations in Awka, Onitsha and Nnewi;
- ix) Provision of road traffic signs in major cities of Anambra State. The roads signs installed include: Speed Limit, Bus-Stop, No Parking and Stop Signs;
- x) Successfully constituted and encouraged Christmas/New Year special traffic road decongestion exercise in the State;xi) Supply and distribution of fifty (50) pieces of Police Traffic Control Posts in various road junctions in Anambra State;
xii) Training of second batch of 120 Anambra Traffic Management Agency (ATMA) Officers at FRSC Academy College, Udi.
xiii) Recruitment/Training of 3rd batch of 200 Anambra Traffic Management Agency (ATMA) officers at FRSC Academy College in December 2015;
xiv) Revamping of TRACAS (Transport Company of Anambra State) to house ANIDS, Mass Transit Scheme, Tax Cab Scheme and Local Government Mass Transit Scheme completed;
- xv) Introduction of Anambra State Mass Transit Scheme with luxury buses at 50% subsidized transport fare reduction to all Ndi Anambra and inhabitants.
02. ANAMBRA TACKLES THE ABUSE OF HIGH WAYS BY MOTORCYCLISTS.
By Michael Ezenwata
The Anambra State house of Assembly has passed a resolution urging governor Willie Obiano to direct the state Road Management Agency to take proactive measures towards preventing motorcyclists from crossing the tip end of the newly constructed flyovers along the Awka axis of the Onitsha-Enugu expressway.
The motion was sponsored by the member representing Njikoka one constituency in the state house of Assembly, Dr. Tim Ifedioranma.
During a plenary session preceded over by the speaker of the house, Rt. Honourable Barrister Rita Maduagwu, Dr. Ifedioranma defended his motion and noted that the operations of motorcyclists on expressways and highways contravene the provision of the Federal Highway Act as well as the Anambra state Road Traffic law and other extant laws of the land. According to the lawmaker, the actions of the motorcyclists expose them to the danger of being knocked down, and in the past has led to loss of human lives and valuable properties especially during the night.
03. SSG Calls for Discipline and Professionalism by ATMA Personnel.
By Ogwo Ifeyinwa Judith : The Secretary to the Anambra State government, Prof Solo Chukwulobelu has charged the Anambra Traffic Management Agency (ATMA) Personnel to be discipline and Professional in discharging their duties.
He made this call yesterday during a head count of all the ATMA Personnel at Jerome Udorji Secretariat Complex, by the Ministry of Road, Rail and Water Transportation. The SSG charged the 450 ATMA Personnel to always discharge their duties responsibly and also desist from extorting money from the people.
Prof. Chukwulobelu apologized for the delay in the payment of their monthly salaries which according to him was caused by a lot of alteration in their numbers which was caused by some of them who absent themselves from duty. The SSG while instructing the Commanders to always write exception report on those that are absent to duties and those that have resigned enjoined them not to engage in any activities that will mar the image of the agency. He commended their efforts during the past Yuletide celebration and assured them that their welfare will be addressed. He told those without Bank Verification Number (BVN) to ensure they have theirs because every payment will be made through the Bank. He encouraged them to take their job seriously and always be at their duty post. He added that they will be given service number like the ones given to the Police and others.
On her part, the Honourable Commissioner for Road, Rail and Water Transportation, Rt Hon. Princess Chinwe Nwaebili appreciated the State Governor, Chief Dr Willie Obiano and the SSG, for conducting the head count of all the ATMA Personnel. She made it clear to ATMA Personnel that their money was not used for any fixed deposit as alleged. Princess Chinwe Nwaebili expressed joy for the exercise and appealed for the head count to be done quarterly. Also, she solicited with the SSG to use his good office to speak on the welfare of the ATMA Personnel as regard to their rain coats, rice, among others to His Excellency.
04. FRSC MOBILE COURT CONVICTS 71 PERSONS
ANAZONWU CHIZOBA V.
The State Sector Commander of the Federal Road Safety Commission Mr. Sunday Ajayi has stated that seventy one out of seventy two road users arrested during the Easter celebration for traffic offenses were convicted by the mobile court set up during the Easter period.
Mr. Sunday Ajayi who disclosed this in Awka said the feat was achieved owing to the combined effort of the command, the sates traffic agency and other stakeholders during the Easter period.
The sector commander also commended Governor Willie Obiano for his support to ensure road safety with the construction of roads, installation of traffic light and signs at strategic points and adequately supporting the state’s traffic agency. He also disclosed that Anambra recorded no death and low accident rate during the Easter celebration.
05. FRSC TAKES ROAD SAFETY CAMPAIGN TO TIPPER DRIVERS
ANAZONWU CHIZOBA V.
The state sector commander of the Federal Road Safety Corps, FRSC, Mr. Sunday Ajayi, says adherence to safety and traffic rules enhances sanity on the road.
Mr. Ajayi stated this during an enforcement campaign by his command to stop tipper drivers in Awka from over-loading their trucks. According to the state sector commander, the activities of tipper drivers in the state, called for urgent concern as he made it clear that the command has done a lot of sensitization to educate the tipper drivers against over loading of their trucks, reckless driving, installation of the speed limiting device among others but regreted that the drivers are not complying.
He further stated that the command would arrest any tipper driver who violates traffic rules and regulations or over load his truck and assured the motoring public that they are poised to enforce sanity on the road.
06. MINISTRY’S STAFF MERRY AS COMMISSIONER MARKS 46TH BIRTHDAY ANNIVERSARY
By Ogwo Ifeyinwa Judith
It was merriment galore yesterday in Ministry of Road, Rail and Water Transportation at Jerome Udoji Secretariat Complex, Awka as the Honourable Commissioner Rt Hon. Princess Chinwe Nwaebili marked her 46th year birthday anniversary with Staff and Friends.
Speaking at the event, the Commissioner appreciated God for the gift of life. She thanked the Staff for their cooperation and good work in the Ministry. Then she wished some of the Staff born in the month of May like her, happy birthday and God’s blessings.
Similarly, the Special Adviser on Legal to the state Governor, Barr. Mrs Queen Ebele Okonkwo appreciated the Staff for the support given to the Commissioner. She prayed God’s protection upon everybody.
In his part, the Acting Permanent Secretary, Mr Ezeogu Anene appreciated the Honourable Commissioner for celebrating her birthday with the Staff of the Ministry and equally prayed God’s blessing upon the Commissioner and the entire Staff of the Ministry.
The highpoint of the event was the cutting of cake and refreshments.