Ministry of Lands, Physical Planning & Rural Development
To sustain a planned, efficient, manageable and proper utilization of the state’s scarce Land resources with a view to securing the optimal use of Land to meet competing uses and other social, economic and political needs.
To achieve equitable allocation of Land resources to different competing users to meet the development needs of the state and to create an enabling environment for private sector driven estate developers to actively participate in provision of housing estates.
Since Dr Willie Obiano Administration, The ministry within the period under review has achieved the following:
• Acquisition of fifty hectares of Land within igbunike Cave for the development of a five star hotel and other tourist attractions.
• Acquisition of two hundred and six hectares of land in Omasi-Agu community
Ayamelum Local Government Area for agricultural purposes.
• Acquisition of one hundred and fourteen hectares of land in Isu – Anaocha community for a Housing Estate project.
Generally, The State Government has spent over four hundred and eighty six million, seven hundred and eighty four thousand, nine hundred and five naira, in payment of compensation to various communities which Land where acquired for peaceful co-existence. These include:
• Compensation to Awka community for acquisition of Executive Business District Layout, amounting to the sum of seventy six million five hundred and ninety six thousand naira only.
• Compensation to Ogbunike community for Tourist center with five star hotels, for socio — economic development amounting to the sum of fifty million, six hundred an eighty five thousand naira only.
• Payment of five million naira compensation to umueze village in Amawbia.
• Payment of compensation to Omasi – community in Ayamelum Local Government for Agricultural purposes which amounted to two hundred million naira.
• Payment of eighty million nine hundred and eighty two thousand seven hundred and five naira to lsu-Anaocha community
• Payment of seventy three million five hundred and twenty one thousand two hundred naira to Aguleri and Umuleri communities.
Other achievement includes:
• Employment of eight number Cartographic Assistants and eight number Boundary men to boost the staff strength of the survey department of the ministry.
• Purchase of three number utility vehicles to facilitate the efficient of work in the ministry.
• Selection of Anambra State by the Presidential Technical Committee on Land Reform for Pilot Scheme for
South East will take off in March 201 5. Already, equipmen for the Scheme has been supplied to the State and Isi – Agu community has being selected to host the pilot project.
• Vigorous enforcement of development control in the state leading to demolitions of illegal structures in the GRA Onitsha and other Government Layouts in the state.
• Purchase of Ammonia Purity Machine and chemicals for effective work of the Town Planning unit.
• Fencing of the Onitsha Trade Fair complex.
• Purchase of office furniture for Lands, Survey and Town planning Department.
• Interfaced with various customary Land owners to ensure cordial relationship between Allottees of Layouts and the host communities to facilitate development of such Layouts.
• Construction of ministry car park, to avoid car parking on roads for effective security.
03. On-Going/Planned Projects
The Ministry has so many ongoing projects such as:
• The Aerial mapping and photographic / satellite imagery of the State, aimed at producing the Base Map of
Anambra State is in progress. So far the Government has spent above one hundred and sixty million naira on this project.
• Implementation of the second phase of Anambra State Land information Management System (ALIMS).
• Completion and furnishing of the ministry’s Headquarters building currently under construction.
• Vigorous development control to ensure that all illegal structures and encroachment in Government Layouts are removed.
• To further streamline the process of Issuance of Certificate of Occupancy to members of the public within the stipulated one month duration.
• Inspection of all Government Layouts in the state to ensure that the Allottee of those Layouts carryout development of their plots in accordance with the planning scheme of such Layouts and to ensure that plots that are not developed within stipulated development period are revoked.
• Provision of basic infrastructure in existing Government Layouts in the state, to open them up for rapid development.
04. ANSPPB INSIST ON PLAN APPROVAL BEFORE BUILDING
BY AKUECHE CORDELIA OLUCHI.
The general manager of Anambra State physical planning board, Mrs Ngozi Atisele has enjoined prospective developers in the state to always ensure that their building plans were duly approved before embarking on any form of physical development.
Addressing newsmen recently in Awka at a seminar organized for town planners in the state, Mrs Atisele said that prospective developers must first submit their building plans to the nearest local planning authority in their areas for approval to ensure compliance with Anambra state physical planning laws.
Mrs Ngozi Atisele commended Governor Obiano for his untiring efforts in ensuring effective development of all sectors of the state.
She also expressed optimism that the seminar will help in educating town planners on how to render efficient services.